Processed foods = everyday risks.
I’m sure I don’ t need to tell you how important nutrition is when it comes to children. In today’s modern society, unfortunately more and more children and adults have food allergies or are food intolerant. And while one positive is we are getting more healthy options for foods…the negative is the health risks on our bodies and minds.
Allergies and intolerances create known health risks, but actually, all kids are adversely affected by heavily processed food.
Our bodies are able to endure so much, but we tax them with ingredients that have only been invented and used to improve the production and popularity of processed foods and not our health. Small bodies cannot recognise and process these ingredients in large quantities, and the compounded effect leads to weight gain, lack of focus, fatigue, and poor energy levels, making children unable to participate fully in class and extracurricular activities such as music and sports.
Here are the scary statistics:
- In 2007, the Australian Bureau of Statistics reported that 1 in 4 children were overweight or obese. This can lead to health disorders such as type 2 diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure, hypertension, and sleep apnoea.
- Food allergies occur in 1 in 20 children and food intolerances are increasingly becoming more common.
- Australian kids consume more than 30 teaspoons of sugar a day! Over-consumption of sugar is associated with dental disease, diabetes, obesity, mental health & behavioural issues, chronic inflammation, and even some cancers.
What does this mean when it comes to our children and our families?
Luckily it is not all doom and gloom! We are fortunate enough to have an abundance of healthy, whole food options at our finger tips. It is all about education, and making the right choices for your family.
Here are a few of our hot tips to eat healthier:
- Always read the labels – Check for the nasty ingredients. Are there any additives? Are there any preservatives? Chances are it’s not a great options!
- Eat fresh and whole foods – Eating foods that are fresh and in a form that is as close to the way nature intended as possible is always the best option.
- Shop smart – Try to find and align yourself with the best brands and businesses that are offering truly healthy options.
At The Tropical Fruit Tribe, we want to make these choices even easier for you and your family. So when it comes to finding snack foods to fill you and your children up, we’ve got you covered.
We’ve also got a whole range of healthy snack recipes you can take advantage of in our Recipe section, so be sure to check it out!